House to be demolished for new park entrance

The house at 12 Montana Drive that is to be removed. Images: Daniel Hines/SunLive

The Tauranga City Council is planning to remove a tidy, three-bedroom house in Pyes Pa to provide a second access to the park and playground behind it.

The council purchased 12 Montana Drive for $630,000 in December 2017 and at least one local resident is scratching their head over it.

Dough High lives in the neighbourhood and believes the existing entrance to Cheyne Park is perfectly adequate.

He says the project is a waste of money and the house would be of more use to the community as accommodation.

Tauranga City Council, Manager Spaces and Places, Mark Smith said the council was responsible for ensuring there were enough green spaces in a growing city.

It collects money from developers in the form of reserve development contributions or entered into agreements with developers to ensure there were enough reserves.

He said the 2000m2 Cheyne Park had long been identified as a local neighbourhood park that was likely to be under utilised because of its long, narrow entrance which was hard to see and felt unsafe to use.

Montana Drive -concept - 2014

“In this particular case, council established that acquiring a neighbouring property was a good way that we could improve access and visibility to, as well as safety within the reserve,” Mark says.

Doug High said he could not see the logic behind knocking down an expensive house when the entrance was already adequate.

“They are throwing money around left, right and centre on these silly little things that are not necessary.”

“It seems crazy to me to knock down a perfectly good house to make a better entrance.”

Mark Smith says they had made all residents aware of the plan and people are encouraged to provide input on the proposal up until April 10.

“The building was previously on the market as a relocatable home and although we would have very much liked this building to have been relocated, it did not sell.

“By removing the house and reinstating this area to create an additional entranceway, we will improve the park’s street presence and access, and along with other small park upgrades, create a safer, user-friendly community reserve for local residents,” Mark says.

He said all work and timelines will be assessed against the council’s ability to deliver, bearing in mind the restrictions relating to COVID 19.




You may also like...

10 Comments

Wasting our rates has to stop

Posted on 07-04-2020 12:10 | By A M Lusby

Well said everybody. I have just filled in a submission form about the annual plan. Please everybody fill one out. This council has to stop wasting our money

And its all being pushed

Posted on 07-04-2020 09:52 | By The Caveman

by the TCC under the cover of a Level 4 lockdown !!!

@Slim Shady

Posted on 06-04-2020 13:02 | By morepork

You put your finger right on it: "other people’s money". No-one reasonably objects to a park or a visible entrance; the objection is $630,000. If that was coming from the pockets of the TCC "decision makers" I don’t think we’d be hearing about it. And I also agree with nerak that there is something funny about this. The phrase in the article that caused my radar to tingle was: "...entered into agreements with developers". Does anybody else feel nervous when they read this? If this is the normal practice there is even more requirement for complete transparency, with the reasons for all decisions taken, made publicly available, and no backroom deals going down...

Walkways

Posted on 05-04-2020 21:18 | By Captain Hottie

While I agree the demolition of a perfectly good house is unfortunate, there are too many walkways and reserve entrances that are not easily accessible by the public, either because there are no signs, or the surrounding neighbours ’hide’ them by making them look like private property. I feel that the entrances to these walkways should be highly visible, maybe marked out on the pavement, and neighbours should be discouraged from letting their trees and shrubs overhang and block access.

At a time when Tauranga,

Posted on 05-04-2020 17:18 | By earlybird

along with the rest of NZ, is suffering an extreme housing shortage, it doesn’t make a kot of sense to demolish a perfectly good family house to make way for a park entrance. Surely this could have been delayed a year or two until conditions improve.

A bit contradictory by the TCC

Posted on 05-04-2020 11:40 | By RJP

"Tauranga City Council, Manager Spaces and Places, Mark Smith said the council was responsible for ensuring there were enough green spaces in a growing city" And yet the TCC is still trying to remove the Recreational Reserve Status from part of the big green area at Sulphur point to make it "Freehold" and that is used more than this park, ever will be.

An unusual decision

Posted on 05-04-2020 08:50 | By Womby

Looks like poor planning from day one by some council departments. I sure there was a better solution than demolishing a perfectly good house. I get the bay times and have never seen that house advertised for removal. Lots of people would love the house on their large property but 60 Square is max size.

Something very wrong here

Posted on 05-04-2020 08:41 | By nerak

Many questions - just who was the owner prior to TCC digging into our pockets? Exactly how much use will this ’park’ get going forward? Maybe Althorp won’t want extra noise for their residents? Or maybe some trees will be removed too, giving same/some residents more outlook? How long was house marketed for? Current rates $2694, no doubt will change going forward, guess the ratepayer forks out for that too? From what I can see on various maps, exactly what is ’unsafe’ about current entrance? This whole story smacks of the truth not being told. Once again, the ratepayers suffer, this time many for few.

????

Posted on 05-04-2020 08:28 | By bruce.deirdre@xtra.co.nz

Our Council seems to have a monopoly on stupidity if they follow through on this....I ask them why this is so important to spend this money HERE & NOW ???

Wasteful again

Posted on 05-04-2020 07:32 | By Slim Shady

It’s a small park, for locals. So they know it is there. Not “hard to see”. Does it need a large entrance for such a small park? No. It will be the best entrance to a park we have ever seen. Cycle lanes and sculptures for sure. Another million or two down the gurgler. It’s just so easy spending someone else’s money.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now