Despite the recent wet weather Waka Kotahi is making strong progress with planned safety improvements to the State Highway 2 (SH2) Waihī to Ōmokoroa corridor.
“We’re pleased to report that our work on the highway between Sharp Road, Aongatete and Sargent Drive, Whakamārama has been completed well ahead of programme,” says a Waka Kotahi spokesperson.
Waka Kotahi says they are also making good headway on the new roundabout on SH2 at the intersection of Rea Road and Tetley Road, near Katikati.
If you’ve driven through the area, you will have seen our contractor laying new road surface on the lower pavement layer for the southbound lane heading towards Tauranga. Once this side of the road is completed, we’ll switch the traffic over to the other lane and carry out the same work heading northbound.
This means that at both Rea Road and Tetley Road people will only be able to make left in/left out turns. A detour will be in place via Marshall Road for people wanting to turn right at Tetley Road. The detour to turn right at Rea Road will be via the Hot Springs Road turning area. The detours are only expected to add one to two minutes to your journey.
Once the full width of the new road is completed, we’ll carry out the final asphalt sealing at the roundabout.
What else is happening?
People driving through the following areas can expect minor delays of one to two minutes:
- Athenree Road to Tanners Point Road - we’ll be continuing our work to widen the road this week.
- Hikurangi Road to Tuapiro Road - there will be temporary traffic management in place, including lane shifts, to enable the construction of retaining wall.
- Morton Rd Intersection - investigations and service relocations are underway for a future roundabout.
Takitimu North Link Stage One
There are also a range of construction activities taking place on the Takitimu North Link Stage One between Te Puna and Tauranga:
- Wairoa Road - Stop/Go traffic management will be in place for trucks crossing and a diversion road is live with a speed limit of 30km/h. If you are driving towards Bethlehem from Wairoa Road, we encourage you to use the underpass at Wairoa Bridge, to avoid a right turn onto SH2.
- Minden Road – There is a shoulder closure in place.
- Cambridge Road - Shoulder closures and Stop/Go traffic management is in place while our contractor lifts materials into position on the construction site. This work will require narrower lane widths, and a reduced speed limit of 30km/h will be in place on the northern lane.
- SH29 Takitimu Drive Toll Road - A reduced speed limit of 80km/h will be in place while our contractor’s crews are working behind the barriers.
Some of the above works are weather dependent and may be postponed in the case of poor weather.
For up-to-date information on road works, traffic, detours and delays, drivers are encouraged to visit the Waka Kotahi Journey Planner website.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience while they complete this essential work to make our state highways safer and more resilient.