There is one new case of COVID-19 in managed isolation in New Zealand today.
Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield says the new case is a woman in her 20s who arrived in New Zealand from Ireland via Dubai on July 24.
She was isolating at the Rydges Rotorua Hotel but has since been transferred to a quarantine facility in Auckland.
Her positive result was from day three testing, says Ashley.
Ashley says there are no new recovered cases of COVID-19 today, which means the number of active cases stands a 24. No one is receiving hospital-level care.
He says 2523 COVID-19 tests were completed yesterday.
Minister of Health Chris Hipkins is urging members of the public to be tested if they are offered one.
He says testing in the community is still not at the level they are aiming for.
“More needs to be done in that area. If you are offered a test you should take the test, if you are asked to be tested you should take the test.”
He says one issue they are facing is that people are reluctant to be tested.
“We need to continue to be on guard and play our part."
About nine per cent of the population had been tested so far, which is about 460,000 tests.
Ashley says it has been 90 days since a case of COVID-19 was acquired locally from an unknown source.
Earlier: Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield will be joined by Minister of Health Chris Hipkins in providing the latest update on the COVID-19 situation.
The pair will be live from 1pm.
A livestream will be available on this page.
SunLive will be providing updates throughout the afternoon for those who are not able to tune into the livestream.
The numbers as they stand so far
On Wednesday, there were two new cases of COVID-19 in managed isolation in New Zealand today.
It had been 89 days since the last case of COVID-19 was acquired locally from an unknown source.
Wednesday's first case was a man in his 50’s who arrived in New Zealand on July 14 from Afghanistan via Dubai, says a statement from the Ministry of Health.
"The positive test was from day 12 testing. He has been transferred to an Auckland quarantine facility."
Today's second case is a man aged in his 40’s who arrived in New Zealand on July 27 from the Philippines, via Hong Kong.
He was taken straight to an Auckland quarantine facility as he was symptomatic on arrival. The positive test was from a test on arrival.
The number of active cases was at 23.
There is no one in New Zealand receiving hospital-level care for COVID-19.
The total number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 is now 1209, which is the number reported to the World Health Organization.