New Zealand has now passed 1.1 million confirmed cases of Covid-19 with a total of 1,100,701 NZ cases reported since the start of the pandemic.
There are 53,964 active community cases that have been identified in the past seven days and not yet classified as recovered.
Today the Ministry of Health is reporting 6,000 new community cases of Covid-19, 363 hospitalisations and nine deaths. Two of the deaths are from Bay of Plenty.
There are 206 new community cases in Bay of Plenty, and 77 in Lakes. There are seven people in Bay of Plenty hospitals and two in Lakes hospitals. There are 58 new imported cases.
The seven-day rolling average of community case numbers is 7,712 – last Monday it was 7,702.
“Today we are sadly reporting the deaths of nine people with Covid-19,” says a Ministry of Health spokesperson.
These deaths take the total number of publicly reported deaths with Covid-19 to 1,064 and the seven-day rolling average of reported deaths is 12.
“Of the people whose deaths we are reporting today; one was from the Auckland region, two were from Taranaki, two were from Bay of Plenty, two were from Wellington and two were from Canterbury.”
One person was in their 30s, three were in their 80s and five were in aged over 90. Of these people, eight were female and one was male.
“This is a very sad time for whānau and friends and our thoughts and condolences are with them. Out of respect, we will be making no further comment on these deaths,” says a Ministry of Health spokesperson.
Vaccinations administered in New Zealand
- Vaccines administered to date: 4,027,220 first doses; 3,979,138 second doses; 32,312 third primary doses; 2,650,968 booster doses: 262,525 paediatric first doses and 122,468 paediatric second doses
- Vaccines administered yesterday: 16 first doses; 13 second doses; 0 third primary doses; 299 booster doses; 17 paediatric first doses and 169 paediatric second doses
- All Ethnicities (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 4,054,808 first dose (96.3%); 4,006,054 second dose (95.2%), 2,644,228 boosted (70.7% of those eligible)
- Māori (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 521,201 first dose (91.3%); 504,392 second dose (88.3%), 237,035 boosted (53.6% of those eligible)
- Pacific Peoples (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 282,020 first dose (98.4%); 277,194 second dose (96.7%), 141,522 boosted (56.4% of those eligible)
- 5 to 11-year-olds all ethnicities: 259,518 first dose (54.5%); 119,494 second dose (25.1%)
- 5 to 11-year-olds - Māori: 40,941 first dose (35.4%); 13,798 second dose (11.9%)
- 5 to 11-year-olds - Pacific Peoples: 23,611 first dose (47.8%); 7,098 second dose (14.4%).
Note that the number for “People vaccinated” differs slightly from “Vaccines administered” as it includes those that have been vaccinated overseas.
Vaccination rates for all DHBs*
- Northland DHB: first dose (90.1%); second dose (88%); boosted (67.2%)
- Auckland DHB: first dose (99.1%); second dose (98.2%); boosted (73%)
- Counties Manukau DHB: first dose (96.2%); second dose (95%); boosted (65.7%)
- Waitemata DHB: first dose (96.5%); second dose (95.6%); boosted (70.8%)
- Waikato DHB: first dose (95.1%); second dose (93.6%); boosted (66%)
- Bay of Plenty DHB: first dose (95.1%); second dose (93.4%); boosted (65.2%)
- Lakes DHB: first dose (93%); second dose (91.3%); boosted (65.5%)
- MidCentral DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (95.1%); boosted (71.5%)
- Tairāwhiti DHB: first dose (92.9%); second dose (90.7%); boosted (65.2%)
- Whanganui DHB: first dose (91.8%); second dose (90.3%); boosted (70.8%)
- Hawke’s Bay DHB: first dose (97.3%); second dose (95.7%); boosted (69.1%)
- Taranaki DHB: first dose (94.6%); second dose (93.2%); boosted (67.4%)
- Wairarapa DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (94.9%); boosted (72.3%)
- Capital & Coast DHB: first dose (98.4%); second dose (97.8%); boosted (79.1%)
- Hutt Valley DHB: first dose (96.6%); second dose (95.6%); boosted (74.4%)
- Nelson Marlborough DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (95.2%); boosted (72.9%)
- West Coast DHB: first dose (92.6%); second dose (91.2%); boosted (70.9%)
- Canterbury DHB: first dose (99.8%); second dose (98.9%); boosted (73.9%)
- South Canterbury DHB: first dose (94.6%); second dose (93.6%); boosted (73.9%)
- Southern DHB: first dose (98.5%); second dose (97.5%); boosted (72.8%)
*Partially and second doses percentages are for those 12+. Boosted percentages are for 18+ who have become eligible 3 months after having their second dose or 16 and 17 year olds who have become eligible 6 months after having their second dose.
- Cases in hospital: total number 363: Northland: 8; Waitemata: 40; Counties Manukau: 35; Auckland: 66; Waikato: 22; Bay of Plenty: 7; Lakes: 2; Tairāwhiti: 1; Hawke’s Bay: 17; Taranaki: 8; Whanganui: 6; MidCentral: 14; Wairarapa: 4; Hutt Valley: 9; Capital and Coast: 13; Nelson Marlborough: 7; Canterbury: 56; South Canterbury: 10; West Coast: 2; Southern: 36.
- *Average age of current hospitalisations: 60
- Cases in ICU or HDU: 14
- Vaccination status of current hospitalisations (Northern Region only, excluding Emergency Departments): Unvaccinated or not eligible (29 cases / 13%); partially immunised <7 days from second dose or have only received one dose (8 cases / 3%); double vaccinated at least 7 days before being reported as a case (59 cases / 25%); Received booster at least 7 days before being reported as a case (140 cases / 59%); Unknown (4 cases / 2%)
* Please note the average age of current hospitalisations is for the Northern Region admissions only at this stage. This data is recorded and extracted from the same source as the vaccination status of patients in Northern Region hospitals.
- Seven day rolling average of community cases: 7,712
- Seven day rolling average (as at same day last week): 7,702
- Number of new community cases: 6,000
- Number of new community cases (PCR): 95
- Number of new community cases (RAT): 5,905
- Location of new community cases (PCR & RAT): Northland (158), Auckland (2,053), Waikato (463), Bay of Plenty (206), Lakes (77), Hawke’s Bay (163), MidCentral (196), Whanganui (85), Taranaki (179), Tairāwhiti (27), Wairarapa (45), Capital and Coast (444), Hutt Valley (181), Nelson Marlborough (230), Canterbury (878), South Canterbury (90), Southern (461), West Coast (62), Unknown (2)
- Number of new imported cases: 58
- Number of active community cases (total): 53,964 (cases identified in the past 7 days and not yet classified as recovered)
- Confirmed cases (total): 1,100,701.
Please note, the Ministry of Health’s daily reported cases may differ slightly from those reported at a DHB or local public health unit level. This is because of different reporting cut off times and the assignment of cases between regions, for example when a case is tested outside their usual region of residence. Total numbers will always be the formal daily case tally as reported to the WHO.
- Number of PCR tests total (last 24 hours): 2,197
- PCR tests rolling average (last 7 days): 3,054
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests dispatched (last 7 days as of 23 May 2022): 1 million