Tairua boat rage man sentenced

John Dixon and his partner Christine in Tairua.

A Tairua man has been sentenced to supervision and a fine after the part he played in a boat-rage incident in a Coromandel harbour.

John Frederick Dixon appeared in Thames District Court on Wednesday where he was sentenced to nine months supervision and a fine of $750.

He had earlier plead not guilty to three charges in relation to the incident on January 23, part of which was captured on video and widely shared on social media.

The 58-year-old originally defended the charges of using a vessel as a weapon to collide with another vessel, operating a vessel in a dangerous manner and assaulting Catherine Maree Browning.

He also abandoned an attempt to keep his name secret.

His bail conditions were that he had to reside at his Tairua home, abide by a 7pm to 7am curfew, and not associate or communicate with Browning and to not offer violence.

Dixon, who has a previous conviction for murder in the 1980s, had been recalled to prison over the harbour incident but was later bailed.

Speaking after the sentencing, Dixon’s lawyer Peter Eastwood said he was satisfied with the outcome.

He said the Judge debated with the lawyers’ argument that Dixon should have his two charges dropped, having already “done his time” under three months of strict bail conditions.

Those strict bail conditions included residing at his Tairua home, abiding by a 7pm to 7am curfew, and not associating or communicating with Browning and to not offer violence.

“At the end of the day he came to the conclusion that his three months’ sentence is something that he should take into account,” Eastwood said.

“He equally recognises that it was a spur of a moment thing reciprocated by a sense of people giving a taste of their own medicine.

“There’s too much speeding going on and the local harbour master agrees with him [Dixon].

“He just wants to get back on his boat. He’s no longer on bail conditions and he can move forward.”

Dixon and his partner both refused to comment, however, earlier Dixon told Stuff that he took responsibility for the incident.

“I made a dick of myself, I lost my cool,” he said.

“I shouldn't have done it, I was concerned about my life.”

-Stuff/Sharnae Hope.

You may also like...


Proud Moment

Posted on 05-05-2021 20:30 | By Yadick

Well I hope that teacher is proud of herself. At the end of the day if she had abided by the law this would never have happened.


Posted on 05-05-2021 16:10 | By Yadick

Has justice been served to both equally?

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment. Login Now