The Royal New Zealand Ballet’s current national tour of ‘Tutus on Tour’ has been affected by the latest community outbreak of Covid-19 in Auckland and the change in alert levels across the country.
The company has postponed ‘Tutus on Tour’ performances in Tauranga, New Plymouth, Whanganui, Hastings, Gisborne, and Nelson this week.
‘Tutus on Tour’ was scheduled for two shows at Baycourt on Saturday, March 6.
RNZB hopes to be able to reschedule some, if not all, of the affected performances to the second half of March, subject to venue availability.
At this stage, the second week of the tour will go ahead as planned keeping in mind that RNZB can only perform when the theatre’s town or city is at alert level 1.
Executive director Lester McGrath says, “The continued good health of RNZB audiences, artists and staff is our priority and we look forward, with optimism, to returning to theatres around Aotearoa soon.
“Rest assured that when performances are permitted to go ahead, we work closely with our venue partners to deliver a high standard of customer care.”
The current status for all ‘Tutus on Tour’ performances is as follows:
New Plymouth: TSB Showplace, March 1 – Postponed
Whanganui: Royal Wanganui Opera House, March 2 – Postponed
Hastings: ToiToi: Hawke’s Bay Arts and Events Centre, March 2 – Postponed
Gisborne: War Memorial Theatre, March 4 – Postponed
Tauranga: Baycourt Community and Arts Centre, March 6 – Postponed
Hamilton: Clarence Street Theatre, March 9 - 10 – Going ahead
Manukau: Vodafone Manukau Events Centre, March 11 – Going ahead
Whangārei: Capitaine Bougainville Theatre, March 13 – Going ahead
Kerikeri: Turner Centre, March 16 – Going ahead
Nelson: Theatre Royal, March 5 - 6 – Postponed
Blenheim: ASB Theatre, Marlborough, March 9 – Going ahead
Ashburton: Ashburton Trust Event Centre, March 11 – Going ahead
Oamaru: Opera House, March 13 – Going ahead
Gore: St James Theatre, March 16 – Going ahead
Customers that hold tickets for an affected ‘Tutus on Tour’ performance will be contacted by the venue or the ticketing agency they booked their tickets through, once the new dates are secured. If any performance is cancelled, ticket buyers are entitled to a full refund.
If performances don’t go ahead, either on the original dates or rescheduled, the RNZB's refund and exchange policy, with additional special provisions regarding Covid-19, applies. The company has instructed the ticketing agencies associated with each venue for the tour to follow this policy also.
Four performances of ‘A Soldier’s Tale’, scheduled for this week will also be postponed. Please visit the NZSO website for further details.
March 4 – Lake Wanaka Centre, Wanaka
March 5 – Regent Theatre, Dunedin
March 6 – Oamaru Opera House
March 7 – Ashburton Trust Event Centre