A worker at the Port of Tauranga who claimed he had Covid-19 when he did not has had his entry to the port suspended.
The port was made aware on Friday night of an employee of a contractor claiming to have tested positive for Covid-19, says Port of Tauranga Limited's communication manager Rochelle Lockley.
The claim was quickly identified as a hoax, she says, and the worker’s employer is now dealing with the matter.
The worker’s access to the port had been suspended in the meantime.
There were no major interruptions to operations at the port because of the incident.
Meanwhile, all 720 Port of Tauranga high priority workers have been tested for Covid-19 and all tests were negative.
The fact all tests were negative is a pleasing outcome, says Bay of Plenty District Health Board interim chief executive Simon Everitt.