Hare dies: 'Our hearts broken'

A man with strong connections to Tauranga has died following a double fatal crash which killed him and a teenage boy, and seriously injured his wife, on Friday night.

The damage to one of the cars following the double fatal crash on Friday night. Inset: Graham Hare died in the double fatal crash.

Graham Charles Hare, 64, died after two cars collided head-on at Horotiu Rd, Te Kowhai, just before 10pm on February 5.

His wife, Rose Wall, was a passenger in her husband's car and was transported with serious injuries to Waikato Hospital, where she was in a stable but serious condition on Sunday night.

A 17-year-old boy also died in the collision between Limmer Road and Willow Brook Lane, State Highway 39.

Graham's daughter, Luci Hare, says her dad's memory will be cherished every day.

"He was loved and respected by everyone who knew him for his quick and risqué wit and incredibly sharp mind.

"He painted life in vivid colours wherever he went, you were left with the life long memories when you met him.

"He has left a huge hole in our family. Our hearts are broken and we miss him terribly. He was our dad."

Luci spoke to Graham on Saturday and says his wife Rose, who is the deputy health and disability commissioner, loved him very much. "She said he was her everything."

Graham was director and project manager of Health Med Group Tauranga and Rotorua's QE Hospital, as well as Wellington private hospital Wakefield Health.

The Auckland man was also a lawyer for 40 years as was on the board of directors for many companies including South Auckland's Eastcare Health.

The incident is one of many fatal crashes across the country over the weekend.

A motorcyclist died after police say he lost control of his motorbike on Centennial Drive in New Plymouth on Friday night.

A 23-year-old motorist died after a fatal crash on Tangimoana Road, near Ohakea, on Saturday.

A motorcyclist was killed after police say he was trying to overtake a car on State Highway 5, just north of Napier, about 10am on Sunday.

He was travelling with several motorcycle companions, with the group believed to be returning home following a gathering of bike enthusiasts in Havelock North on Saturday night.

Additional reporting: stuff.co.nz


Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment.