Sorry, your browser is too old to view this website.

Click Here To See How To Update or

Visit our basic site

Sunday, October 26, 2014

SunLive - The Bay's news first
LATEST
TRENDING

OPINION POLL

After a spate of recent gun crimes, do you think NZ police officers should be armed at all times?

Yes
No
VOTE
RESULTS

Home >> Local News >>

Fireworks spark scrub fire

Posted at 7:41am Thursday 26 Dec, 2013 | By Phillipa Yalden phillipa@thesun.co.nz

Firefighters are asking the public to be careful and cautious with fireworks ahead of the New Year period.

Greerton firefighters were called to Poike Road on Christmas Day where a group of young people had let off fireworks sparking a scrub fire.

Firefighters attended a scrub fire caused by fireworks overnight.

Senior Station Officer Paul Van Kol says a group of youths aged between 18 and 23-years-old were having a few drinks and decided to let off the fireworks.

“We had been called to Poike Road for a cardiac arrest and whilst there got a call to a scrub fire.”

The call came in about 7.45pm to the intersection of Winderemere Drive and Poike Road.

“There were some young people having a few drinks and having a fire and decided to let some fireworks off and caught the hedge on fire.”

“Alcohol involved and people involved – it's just common sense stuff – be careful.”

Despite rain in the region in the last few days, Paul says the area is still dry and caution should be taken.

“There hasn't been enough (rain) to dampen things down.”


COMMENTS

hope

Posted on 26-12-2013 13:44 | By Capt_Kaveman

they have enough to pay the bill

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to make a comment.

BAY TODAY


Bamboo in the Hamilton Gardens. Photo by Chloe Phillips. Send us your photos and stories from around the Bay of Plenty.
photos@thesun.co.nz