An elderly man in a wheelchair managed to escape his smoke filled home Katikati home unharmed today after a pot left on a stove began to burn.
Katikati Volunteer Fire Brigade and St John Ambulance were called to the home in Fairview Road at about 3pm where they found a smoke filled house.
Chief Fire Officer Joe Manukau says the man, believed to be in his 70s, had left a pot on the stove with the element on and it had started to smoke out the house.
There was no damage to the house but it was heavily smoke logged when fire fighters arrived.
“We arrived there and aired the place out. There was just smoke damage in the building.
A Katikati St John Ambulance spokesperson says the elderly man managed to exit the house before the smoke intensified and was not injured.