- New lower alcohol limit Dec 1
- Paddling pink at the Mount
- Mount man flags up new design
- Mass appeal for Bay supplements
- Tribute to family man Graeme
- No snap decision on Tauriko land
- Craft Collective set to open
- Nomination humbles Kiwi sailors
- Patients sought for Tauranga trials
- Changeable spring weather continues
- Growth factor at Tauranga Port
- Buckets of fun in trout release
- Record returns for green growers
- Port accident record defended
- Coastguard co-founder passes away
- Papamoa Hall up in flames
- Armed police called to Judea
- Man crushed by car dies
- Man injured on bouncy castle
- Girl hit by motorcycle
- Balloon release for Jack
- Tourists' van found on fire
- Changes to work breaks sought
- Fatal crash victim named
- Clothes used in deliberate fire
- Fatal crash driver twice the limit
- Waihi woman an X-Factor 'maybe'
- Father and son arrested for theft
- Dangerous fugitive on the run
- Mount store sells lucky spin
Arctic and Antarctica ice
with John Maunder
Arctic sea ice reached its annual maximum extent for 2014 on March 21. Overall, the 2014 Arctic sea ice coverage was the fifth lowest in the 1978-2014 record.
In contrast, Antarctic sea ice reached its annual minimum for 2014 on February 23. This is the fourth highest Antarctic minimum in the satellite record. This continues a strong pattern of greater-than-average sea ice extent in Antarctica for the last two years.
The National Snow and Ice Data Centre, in Boulder, Colorado, has an extensive website on Arctic and Antarctic sea ice.
Graphs of the extent of the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere ice – updated to March, 2014 – from the above website are shown below.
These show from 1979 to 2011 the Northern Hemisphere ice extent decreased at the rate of 2.6 per cent per decade, compared with an increase of 4.5 per cent per decade during the same period in the Southern Hemisphere.
However, the Southern Hemisphere shows a relatively large variability compared with that for the Northern Hemisphere.
For further climate information, see https://sites.google.com/site/climatediceandthebutterfly/
Post a CommentYou must be logged in to make a comment.
- Mastering a mud-filled art
- Global Monthly Temperatures: January 1979 - August 2014
- Skinny love - Support network for sacked mannequins
- Tauranga’s September average afternoon temperatures: 1913-2014
- A rash of curious ailments
- Tauranga: September Rainfalls 1898-2014
- Ailment of the week: Viking Finger
- UN Climate Summit 2014
- Promoting freedom of expression... and lingerie as projectiles
- Is Global Warming taking a break?
- MegaFatload: Control+Alt+Delete - Bring on the extradition
- Tauranga’s August average afternoon temperatures 1914-2014
- Driven mad in Tauranga
- Tauranga August rainfalls –1898-2014
- Gym etiquette - Outrageous uses for shared hair dryers