- A peculiar poppy in Tauranga
- Ceremony of the empty chair
- Chiefs too good for Force
- Pedestrian killed in Whakatane
- ANZAC Day: your photos
- What’s on Today? Anzac
- Katikati marks Anzac in style
- Anzac Day brunch on offer
- Anzac Day: A day to remember
- Get to Anzac service early say TCC
- A WWI story, as told by a bugle
- Growth paramount for Tauranga
- Racing into colourful derby
- Pre-schoolers make a splash
- Penny’s racing Anzac tribute
- Expressway reopen after accident
- Hitchhiker hit by van
- One critical after being hit by car
- Man dies in Pukehina accident
- Orca pod spotted in harbour
- School bus no-show
- Mother’s fury after hit-and-run
- VIDEO: Cyclone Pam moves Rena wreck
- Rudd admits threatening to kill
- Two car crash near Apata Station Rd
- Medical incident at sea
- Man killed in head-on crash
- Quarry death raises safety questions
- Drunken man’s road nap
- City parking officer opens up
Protect Environmental Wellbeing
Spokesperson for the Green Party
The amalgamation of Auckland councils, championed as a major exercise in efficiency, has had one clear outcome – an increase in rates for Auckland ratepayers.
Local Government must deliver core services (infrastructure to keep our environment operating, our economy working, and our people safe), and promote the four wellbeings (environmental, social, economic, cultural) ensuring that we live happy lives.
Thirty years ago, the principle that “future users should pay for current development” was established for LG. Also, through the RMA and LGA (and revisions), central government has delegated increasing responsibility to LG.
The heritage is LG overwhelmed with debt. Well, we are the future users, and we are not happy.
Central government is retrenching because LG struggles to deliver on all its responsibilities in the context of “growth at any cost”. Environmental wellbeing, the most important of all, will take the biggest hit due to the mistaken belief that it is the least important element of our economy.
Ian McLean is a spokesperson for the Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand.
Post a CommentYou must be logged in to make a comment.
- Our special Anzac Day
- Continuing to honour and remember the sacrifices
- City councillors and their CEO are visionless
- Low submissions for LTP
- Marine Reach – volunteers in our midst
- What the people want
- Route K toll has dropped
- The four land-use wellbeings
- Regional council’s planning process is a joke
- Targeting reducing crime
- Promises need to be kept
- Reducing waste pays dividends
- Improving housing affordability with government
- Preparing for a demographic change
- It’s time to ‘hack’ into the Government